BIG HALF YEAR FOR THE BOG ENDS June 30, 2013
BIG HALF YEAR FOR THE BOG WRAP-UP PICNIC
Sunday June 30th Noonish to 2ish at Jay Cooke State Park
This will be the final wrap-up get together for those who EITHER PLEDGED OR PARTICIPATED in the Big Half Year. Participants will share their favorite stories and give a wrap-up of their personal Big Half Year for the Bog.
WHO?: All participants, pledgers, members of Friends of Sax-Zim Bog...Basically, all are invited! Only participants are eligible for the prize drawings BUT YOU MUST HAVE ACTUALLY PARTICIPATED AND RAISED/DONATED AT LEAST $100 TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE DRAWING
WHEN?: Sunday June 30th Noon to 2pm or so....We'll start the coals around 12:30.
WHERE?: Jay Cooke State Park picnic area near the main visitor center building. NOTE THAT YOU CAN ONLY ACCESS THE PARK FROM THE WEST VIA MN210 CARLTON OR THOMSON! (Access from Fond du Lac along MN23 is CLOSED)
WHAT?: Bring your own picnic lunch, drinks, and something to grill. We'll have the coals on! Also bring your stories about your Big Half Year for the Bog. After lunch, we'll have the drawing for our fantastic prizes.
QUESTIONS?: Call Sparky 218.341.3350 or email Sparky (email@example.com)
CONSIDER A LAST MINUTE PLEDGE...IT'S NOT TOO LATE!
WHY?—Because it will be fun! And, of course, to raise money for Freinds of Sax-Zim Bog and their current projects. Since we recently purchased a 40 acre Black Spruce/Tamarack bog, our current priority for 2013 is to complete the Sax-Zim Bog Welcome Center on Owl Avenue.
PAINLESS PLEDGES: Each participant will have their own web page where they will be able to set their Big (half) Year goal, post photos, write updates, and gather online pledges. You then set your fundraising goal. Now simply send a one-click link to your facebook friends, or e-mail your contacts about your Big (half) Year. Your friends can either pledge a lump sum or on a per-species basis, and the best part is, they do it right online with one-click on your web page.
GREAT PRIZES!: We will have some fantastic prizes...NOT for most species but ALL WILL BE AWARDED IN A DRAWING....EVERY $250 YOU RAISE WILL GIVE YOU AN EXTRA "NAME IN THE HAT." If you raise $10 you get one name in the hat ( or any amount up to $250)..If you raise $250 you'll get 2 names in the hat...If you raise $500 you'll get 3 names in the hat...and so on. Everyone can be a winner!
WHAT IS A BIG YEAR?—A Big Year is a calendar-year attempt to see (or photograph) as many bird species as possible in a specific geographic region. Our only spin on this definition is that we are making it a much more manageable half year...January 1 to June 30th, 2013. Most Big Year participants find about 80% of their total in this time frame anyway.
BIG (half) YEAR IDEAS—Be creative and follow your passion. NO GEOGRAPHIC LIMITS! Most will do a Minnesota Big (half) Year, but you can do a Big Florida (half) Year if you want!
County Big (half) Year
Total Ticks (MN Counties) Big (half) Year
Yard List Big (half) Year
Sewage Pond Big (half) Year
North America Big (half) Year
Bird species photographed Big (half) Year
Sax-zim Bog Big (half) Year
Or??? Use your imagination!
BIG (half) YEAR REGISTRATION DEADLINE: December 31, 2012
**Here is an example of the web page that each participant will have. Note a few things:
1. You can EASILY set up your web page in less than 5 minutes! If you are having problems, we'll help!
2. Set your goal reasonably high...Folks are more likely to give when they know they are helping you reach your goal more so than if you've already reached your goal.
3. $50 is the minimum goal you are able to set. No maximum!
4. Just write a brief paragraph or two to let your potential sponsors know who you are and why you are a Friend of Sax-Zim Bog
5. Set you "Big half Year" goal! REMEMBER..YOU CAN DO THE BIG HALF YEAR ANYWHERE! You can do it anywhere from Zim to Zimbabwe! From Arkola Road to Angola!
6. The goal needs to be a number of species...But you can set your own paramaters (birds seen in sewage ponds...birds seen in Sax-Zim...birds photographed in MN...birds heard at night in Norway while standing on one leg!
7. Easy link buttons so you can easily let your facebook, twitter friends what you are up to.
8. Your friends and family can sponsor you either on a per-species basis or one lump sum WITH ONE CLICK! NO PAINFUL COLLECTING OF CHECKS!
9. You own thermometer will track your progress...And remember, EACH $250 raised will get you another "name in the hat" for the post-event drawing for fabulous prizes!